Polymers/Plastics Expert Witness
Jeffrey Gotro, Ph.D.
Dr. Gotro has over 30 years’ experience in the field of polymers and plastics and provides consulting, litigation support and expert witness services in cases involving polymers and plastics.
Areas of Expertise:
- Specialty in polymers (plastics); chemistry, physics, characterization
- Polymer (plastics) product liability, fitness for use
- Polymer (plastics) material selection, including thermosets and thermoplastics
- Intellectual Property litigation; patent infringement analysis, invalidity analysis, Inter Partes Review (patent re-examination)
- Expert in polymers used in electronic applications
- Adhesives, coatings, laminates, underfills, polymer composites
- Specialist in thermosetting polymers
- Epoxy, acrylics, polyimides, cyanate esters (curing reactions)
- Thermal analysis, mechanical property determination
- Rheology (chemorheology) and flow of polymers/plastics
- Process evaluations (dispensing, coating, lamination, molding)
- Epoxy pipe linings; IP litigation and product liability
- Floor coatings; formulation (epoxy and acrylic), applications, and product liability
- Thermoplastic lamination; applications and patent infringement
- Plastic skylight; polymer material selection, UV exposure, and polymer characterization
- Construction defect; polymeric sealants and window flashing
- Expert witness, litigation support, consulting
- Over 30 years in the field of polymer science
Types of Cases:
Product Liability: Cases involving a polymer or plastics product that failed in use including personal injury and property damage. Provide litigation support, depositions
Polymer/Plastics Material Selection: Cases involving whether the proper polymer/plastic was used or designed into a product. Evaluate if the material selection led to a product failure or was unfit for use in a particular application. Provide litigation support, depositions.
Intellectual Property: Patent infringement, patent invalidity, patent reexamination (Inter Partes Review, IPR), trademark infringement. Provide litigation support and depositions.
Click here to read a White Paper on “The Types of Cases for a Plastics/Polymer Expert Witness Can Encounter.”
Northwestern University, Ph.D. in Materials Science (focus on polymers, polymer chemistry, and physical properties), 1983
Marquette University, BS Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, 1977
Patents and Publications:
14 issued US patents and 5 patents pending (see CV for complete list of patents)
Published 59 technical articles in polymers (see CV for complete list of publications)